Post-Hurricane Update

Updated 8/31/2020 at 4:00 PM

Return to Campus Postponed

We know you are concerned about your room and your campus. However, these areas are NOT safe at this time. Emergency groups are being staged on campus to assist with getting the grounds and buildings assessed and cleared for your return.

Housing will be in touch with residents to make appointments to return to their rooms. Those who need to return to the dorms to collect belongings will be able to do (by appointment) as soon as it is deemed safe to be on grounds and in buildings. It may not be until the end of next week before we are allowed to have anyone on campus.

Dorms will remain closed until the infrastructure is back up. We do NOT have an estimated date for the water and utilities.

However, we will continue to communicate with you as we get more information.

Housing Situation Survey – Please Complete!

The impact of Hurricane Laura has left most of our residential hall capacity uninhabitable. Provisions are being considered to provide temporary housing options for residents in need. Please complete this form to notify us of your housing situation.

FEMA Relief Information

Program Description

Housing Assistance under FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP) can provide financial help and direct services after a disaster. The program assists with housing needs not covered by insurance or provided by any other source.

Housing Assistance includes the following:

  • Lodging expense reimbursement for short-term stays in hotels or motels.
  • Rental assistance for temporary housing OR direct temporary housing in the forms below:
  • Multi-family lease and repair
  • Recreational vehicle (RV)
  • Manufactured housing unit (MHU)
  • Direct lease
  • Money to help repair or replace your primary home.
  • Permanent housing construction.

Read the Individuals and Households Program Fact Sheet (PDF, 132 KB) for more details.

General Program Requirements

You must meet all of the following conditions to qualify:

  • You have losses in a presidentially declared disaster area.
  • You have no insurance or have filed an insurance claim, but it does not cover all of your damage or loss.
  • You or someone who lives with you is a U.S. citizen, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien.
  • Your primary home is the one affected.
  • You can’t access your home or your home requires repairs because of disaster damage.

Other conditions and limitations apply.

Application Process

To start an application, click Apply Online.

If you have questions or prefer to apply by phone, you may call the FEMA Helpline.

You can also visit a local Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) for help. Use the DRC Locator to find a center near you.

FEMA assistance payments

  1. If I received a settlement from my insurance but still have additional needs, what can I do?
  2. As soon as you receive an insurance settlement, you should provide a copy to FEMA and identify any unmet needs you have. Although FEMA cannot duplicate benefits that your insurance provided, FEMA may be able to assist you with lost essential items not covered by insurance and can also help you find resources through other recovery partners.

Q: Am I eligible for any assistance as a renter?

A: FEMA Individual Disaster Assistance is not only for homeowners. It is also available for eligible renters under FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance program for essential personal property and other needs. FEMA grants can include help paying for disaster-related expenses such as:
· Replacement or repair of necessary personal property, such as furniture, appliances, clothing, textbooks or school supplies;
· Replacement or repair of tools and other job-related equipment required by the self-employed;
· Primary vehicles; and · Medical and dental bills. Renters also may qualify for a low-interest, long-term disaster assistance loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) to replace lost or damaged personal property. For loan information, visit

Q: Do I need to make an insurance claim before I apply for disaster assistance?

A: YES! It’s important to note that you first need to file an insurance claim before you can file a claim through FEMA (even if you know your claim will not be covered by insurance). You will have up to 12 months from the date you registered with FEMA to submit insurance information for review. FEMA cannot provide money to individuals or households for losses already covered by insurance. You should file a claim with your home and/or auto insurance company for any damages incurred. Failure to file an insurance claim may affect your eligibility for federal assistance, because by law, FEMA cannot provide money for losses that are covered by insurance.